Spiced Apple Cupcakes Recipe
So there I was, hankering for some cupcakes and I wanted it to be healthy too, so my LO can share it with me. Vanilla was too bland and chocolate was too decadent, so why not try a fruit-infused cupcake? I had a stash of granny smith apples in the fridge so spiced apple cupcakes it was!
The spices in this cupcake recipe makes the entire house smell absolutely amazing, and when my LO woke up from her nap to find warm delicious cupcakes waiting for her to taste, she gave me the most beautiful smile in the world!
Cooking and baking for your children can be incredibly rewarding.
This recipe makes 24 cupcakes
Ingredients for the Cupcake
- 280g (2 1/4 cups) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp of salt
- 110g (4oz) of butter
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 2/3 cup of castor sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence
- 4 cups of grated apple (about 6 apples)
- Grate your apples. I peeled and cored them before running them through the food processor. DO NOT soak your apples in water or you’ll end up with a soggy cake.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius. Line your cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In a bowl, place in the dry ingredients – flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and mix well.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar. When the mixture looks light and creamy, beat in the eggs and vanilla essence. Finally mix in the grated apples.
- Lightly fold the dry ingredients into the butter mixture.
- Fill each cupcake liner until 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes in the oven.
I skipped the frosting because it was healthier this way, but you can always do so.